The McGowan Government has today announced the successful contractor tasked with transforming the Art Gallery of WA’s (AGWA) rooftop into a multi-use gallery space and rooftop venue over the next six months.
ADCO Constructions has been awarded the contract for the Elevate project, which will support 265 construction jobs.
Elevate, designed by Perth-based firm TAG Architects and Sydney firm fjmt, will feature:
- an external lift and skybridge from the Perth Cultural Centre precinct to allow people access to the rooftop afterhours;
- a 500-person rooftop venue, the largest in Perth, with exceptional views;
- an open-air rooftop sculpture park featuring works from the State Art Collection;
- a new internal gallery located on the roof; and
- conservation labs being re-located from the roof to the basement and given better facilities for the conservation, preservation and preparation of works for the State Art Collection.
AGWA has also commissioned for the State Art Collection an eye-catching 34-metre-long artwork, by leading Noongar artist Christopher Pease, which will wrap around one third of the rooftop wall.
Read the Minister’s full media release here